4/12/12

Millet, Millet and More Millet

When some people detox, they use that time to expand their cooking repertoire.  They'll try new foods, test new recipes.  They will use that time to hike well beyond the outermost limit of their comfort zone, eager on a quest to chart new territory.  I am not those people. When I detox, it takes all my brain space to remember that tortilla chips are not on the approved list.  Therefore, I like to pick a cheap and easy base dish that I can incorporate into many dishes throughout the week.  

This week I was all about millet (as evidenced by my food logs below).  Millet is a super filling grain that is really nutritious and easy to digest.  It has a mild nutty flavor, so it works with almost any seasoning.  One night I had it with lemon and olive oil; another with dijon vinaigrette.  Last night, I ate it as a snack with some hummus.  It also works hot or cold.  I made a huge vat of it on Monday that fed John and I for many meals over the last three days.  And I'm still not sick of it!  (Although, John might be…)

-♥ J :)

Basic Millet Recipe
via Arrowhead Mills
Makes 4 servings.
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole millet
  • 2 cups boiling water (or low sodium vegetable broth)
  • 2 tsp oil (I use olive oil.)
Directions:
  1. In a heavy skillet, heat 1 tsp of oil.  Add the millet and toast gently until the grain is tan.  
  2. Bring the water (or vegetable stock) to a boil.  Add grain to water.
  3. Stir; cover and simmer gently for 25 to 30 minutes to desired texture or until all of the water is absorbed.

Clean Food Log: Day 2
-12 oz. coffee (I know...I know.)
-17 oz. coconut water
-4 oz. coffee
-Carrot Pineapple Smoothie
  • 16oz. carrot juice
  • 1 cup frozen pineapple
-Vanilla Almond Smoothie
-2 cups romaine with broccoli, brussels sprouts, avocado in dijon vinaigrette
-1 cup millet
-1/2 cup lentils, 1/2 cup sauteed spinach, 1/2 cup yams

Clean Food Log: Day 3
-12 oz. coffee (Yep.  Still drinking coffee.)
-Vanilla Almond Smoothie
-4oz. coffee
-lentils, spinach, broccoli with millet. Side of yams with avocado.
-16oz. Green Juice
  • romaine
  • kale
  • spinach
  • celery
  • parsley
  • cucumber
-millet with broccoli and hummus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...