4/10/12

Coming Clean

I might suck at this cleanse.  It is only Day 2, so the jury is still out, but MAN ALIVE I feel like I am pushing a boulder uphill.  And not because the program is particularly difficult.  In fact, it is fairly easy and pretty much in line with the way I usually eat.  I think the trouble is I really don't like following plans.  I like gathering information.  I like learning new things.  But then I like to be left alone to implement them into my life at my leisure.  I don't like things that are too strict or bossy.  This may be why I've never gravitated to boot camp style workouts.  At a certain point, I don't like people telling me what to do. 

That being said, here's the deal with Clean.  To put it simply, in a day you are supposed to have two liquid meals, one solid meal and a snack.  (Now you see why I felt like I was describing the Slim Fast Plan…)  Two of your meals being in liquid form is supposed to help the stomach heal itself by alleviating the constant busy work that is digestion.  However, unlike other plans, the liquid meals are supposed to be nutrient dense ensuring that you are getting everything the body needs without taxing it or causing it stress.  Dr. Junger gives this as an example of a typical day on Clean...



  • Breakfast: Carrot, Beet, Cabbage and Watercress Juice;  hot water with lemon, hot herbal tea
  • Mid-morning: Snack or herbal tea (optional)
  • Lunch: Stir-fry Vegetables with Buckwheat noodles
  • Mid-afternoon: Snack or herbal tea (optional)
  • Dinner: Fennel and Apple Juice
  • Drink plenty of water all day

The lightened workload, coupled with eliminating known allergens from the diet, is what helps the stomach heal.  (You can find the complete list of what foods to eliminate, as well as Clean approved "snacks" HERE.)  Dr. Junger claims that once the gut is healed many common ailments can be mitigated.  Things like:

  • Yearly colds or viruses
  • Allergies or hay fever
  • Extra pounds that won't come off
  • Indigestion, constipation, or irritable bowl syndrome
  • Itchy skin, acne or any other troubling skin conditions
  • Depression, anxiety or frequent fatigue

Like I said before, its only Day 2.  I'll definitely have a better take on this plan later in the week.  However, here are the roadblocks I've run into so far.

Coffee.  Can't give it up.  Don't want to give it up.  This is not Dr. Junger's fault.  I thought I had made peace with the idea that I would give it up yesterday, but this has proved to be completely inaccurate.  In fact, I am going to admit to you now that the prospect of giving it up made me drink even more coffee the past few days.   I've been on a crazy, rebellious caffeine bender.  I blame the vanilla almond latte at Urth Cafe.  It was my gateway drug (also…AMAZING!!!).

Planning.  I didn't properly set myself up for success yesterday.  I had no food in the house, got sidelined by work procrastination and before I knew it it was 1 o'clock, I hadn't eaten anything all day and was starving.  Again, not Dr. Junger's fault, but planning meals in advance would have been helpful.

Smoothie as dinner.  Nope.  Not going to happen.  I look forward to dinner all day and I will not look forward to a smoothie.  Perhaps I'll try making soup for the second liquid meal.  I think I could handle that.  Cara has a terrific recipe HERE.

So, that's my take so far.  Maybe by the end of the week my "healed gut" will have me happily buzzing with natural energy and radiant light.  We'll see.  I'll keep you posted.  Literally.

-♥ J :)

P.S.  More Clean recipes HERE.

Clean Food Log: Day 1
-8 oz. coffee with agave
-35 oz. coconut water 
-Vanilla Almond Smoothie
-4 oz. coffee with agave
-2 cups millet with broccoli
-3 cups romaine lettuce w/ brussels sprouts in a dijon vinaigrette dressing
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...