4/13/11

Plan of A Snack

Me: "You really should go easy on that chocolate bar. We only have two for the whole week."
Him: "Why are you being so unreasonable?!?!"

-Overheard in my living room last night.



Ok.
$98.91.
Whole, organic, vegan food.
One week. Two people.
Let's do this!!!
(Cue inspirational music!)


I have devised a plan.
And that plan….
is this:




Smoothie
Salad
Snack
Stir Fry
Chocolate


SMOOTHIE
This breakfast takes all of two minutes, is completely organic and super easy to take on the go. It is also a way of ensuring that I eat (err…drink) fruit everyday.  The trick is using frozen fruit.  Anyone who has ever spent 6 dollars on a miniscule carton of organic berries only to find them covered in mold a day later knows the special heartache that is buying fresh berries. Frozen organic berries are cheaper, they last longer and if you want to eat them unfrozen you can just let them thaw overnight...


My go-to breakfast for this challenge will be:

Jen's Stupidly Easy Smoothie
-1/2 cup frozen blueberries
-1/2 cup frozen strawberries
-1 cup orange juice

1. Put in a blender.
2. Blend.


I bought 3 bags of frozen fruit which works out to approximately 6 servings. I might have to use a little less fruit per day so that I'm sure it will last all 7 days.

SALAD
I bought all romaine lettuce.  I've found that romaine tends to be the sturdiest of the lettuces. It lasts the longest in the fridge and is the most versatile.  And it's yummy.  I'll use romaine as my base and then change up what I use for toppings.  Avocados and sunflower seeds with lemon and olive oil dressing is one of my favorite lunches, but I also have a Secret Salad Weapon that I'll get to in a minute.


If I don't use lemon and olive oil, I make this salad dressing:

Jen's Stupidly Easy Dijon Vinaigrette Dressing
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
-1 tablespoon dijon mustard


1. In a small bowl, whisk ingredients together (a plain 'ole fork works just fine…).
2. Add lemon pepper and garlic powder to taste.


SNACK
Baby Carrots.  Does anyone actually like baby carrots?  Probably not.  But they are good for you and cheap and if you are not hungry enough to be eating a carrot then, honestly, you probably are not truly hungry and then you really shouldn't be eating a snack anyway.  I dip them in salsa.  That makes them a little better.


Other possible snacks:
LARA BARS
- They are vegan, raw, gluten-free, portable. Nuff said.
Nut Packs- Trader Joe's sells nuts in pre-portioned snack size packs. They are not really called nut packs. That's just what my husband and I nicknamed them.


STIR-FRY
I am using the term "Stir-Fry" incorrectly.  My definition of "Stir-Fry" is a mixture of a bean or legume (black beans, lentils, garbanzo beans, kidney beans) , a gluten free starch (brown rice, brown rice pasta, quinoa, even sweet potatoes work) and a vegetable.  This meal is SO inexpensive.  This meal makes SO much food.  This meal is SO versatile.  You can flavor this meal anyway your heart desires-Mexican, Italian, Indian.  This base takes on whatever spice you throw on it.  Get creative with it!  This is my favorite Stir-Fry combo:

Jen's Stupidly Easy Favorite Stir-Fry
-TJ's Organic Brown Rice Pasta Fusilli
-TJ's Ready to Eat Steamed Lentils
-TJ's Organic Frozen Chopped Spinach
-2 lemons
-1/4 cup olive oil

Spices:
-lemon pepper
-garlic powder

Cooking Tools:
-large pasta pot
-large skillet
-large bowl
-small bowl
-spatula
-pasta strainer

1. In a small bowl, whisk the juice of 1 lemon and 1/4 cup olive oil; reserve for later.
2. Bring 1 gallon of water to a boil; add entire package of pasta. Cook pasta for 8 minutes; drain.
3. WHILE PASTA IS COOKING, lightly coat skillet with olive oil and warm over medium-high heat.
Add the entire package of TJ's Organic Frozen Chopped Spinach to the skillet.  Cook the spinach for eight minutes; stirring constantly to prevent burning.  When spinach is fully cooked, add half a package of TJ's Ready to Eat Steamed Lentils to the skillet.
Add lemon pepper, garlic and other spices to taste.
Cook for 2 more minutes.
4. Mix pasta, spinach and lentils in a large bowl; coat with the reserved lemon and olive oil mixture. Eat and Enjoy!

Helpful Hints:
*More lemon and spices can always be added to suit your own taste.
*I love using the frozen chopped spinach because when everything is mixed together it takes on a pesto like texture. That being said, you certainly could substitute fresh spinach if you like it better.
*Be mindful when cooking brown rice pasta. It can get gummy very quickly, so follow the package instructions to the letter and still be sure to keep your eye on it.


This recipe makes so much food that, last night for dinner, my husband and I had two VERY hearty portions and still had enough left over to use for both of our lunches today.  Speaking of lunch the next day...

This recipe is also delicious cold.  My Secret Salad Weapon is that I use my leftover Stir-Fry as the topping for my salad the next day.  It is delicious with the dijon vinaigrette dressing!  This way I'm eating leftovers, but it doesn't feel like I'm eating the same thing.  Here's a picture of my Stupidly Easy Favorite Stir-Fry as a salad topper:

Love the Stir-Fry!

(And FINALLY!) CHOCOLATE
I think that one is pretty self explanatory….


So, that's my plan.  Tomorrow I'll post about what John (the aforementioned good sport of a husband…)will be eating this week.

Happy Veggin'!!!!

-♥ J :)

p.s. I found this LIST of foods at TRADER JOE'S that are vegan. Note that (happily) dark chocolate is on the list.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...