photos via Cara's Kitchen
This recipe comes from my uber talented sister-in-law Cara. When food allergies forced her to avoid one of her favorite comfort foods, Cara decided to take matters into her own hands. A little tinkering in the kitchen and…Voila!! Vegan Gluten-free Mac and Cheese was born!! Oh, Cara...I and the world thank you.
-♥ J :)
P.S. Cara makes soup, too.
Cara's Vegan Gluten-free Mac and Cheese
- 1 box gluten-free pasta spirals
- 1 package Daiya Mozzarella shreds
- 1 package Daiya Cheddar shreds
- 1/4 cup vegan parm (Parma brand is best, but if that isn't available, Rice Parm is good)
- 1 1/2 cup Earth Balance mayo (soy, egg, and dairy free)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup brown mustard
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks
- 1/2 cup crumbs from Mary's Gone Crackers Sticks 'n' Twigs (You will have to buy a whole bag of these and crumble some of them in a grinder or smash by hand. But, that's okay because they are a great snack to dip in Almond butter. You won't be sad you have extra on hand.)
- 1 tsp. salt pepper
- Cook pasta and set aside. In a big bowl combine cheeses, mayo, yogurt, mustard, onion and garlic powder. (Reserve 1 tbsp. of vegan parm for later use.)
- Mix in pasta until well coated. Dot the top with "butter."
- Cover with crumbs and additional 1 tbsp. of vegan parm.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!!!