Hmmm…risotto might be overstating it a bit. However, that's what I think it tastes like so that's what I'm going with. This recipe is great to make at the beginning of the week, because it yields tons of leftovers. It also works cold as a salad topper.
-♥ J :)
Vegan Spinach "Risotto"
- 2 packets Trader Joe's Frozen Organic Brown Rice (approx. 4 cups)
- 4 cups organic frozen spinach
- 1 1/4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups Rawmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Soy-Free, Dairy-Free "butter" (But if you add more, I won't tell…)
- lemon juice
- halved cherry tomatoes
- lemon pepper
- In a pot with a lid, combine frozen spinach, brown rice and vegetable broth.
- Being sure to stir occasionally, cover and cook on med-high heat until spinach and rice are thoroughly cooked (5-10 minutes).
- Reduce to a simmer and fold in "butter."
- Add Rawmesan cheese.
- Add any optional ingredients like garlic, cherry tomatoes and lemon pepper if so desired.
- Plate and garnish with a squeeze of lemon.
- Eat and Enjoy!
Butternut Squash Mash
- 2 cups frozen butternut squash (I got this brand at Whole Foods.)
- 1/4 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Soy-Free, Dairy-Free "butter"
- 1/2 cup organic mixed greens
- Trader Joe's Balsamic Glaze
- Cook butternut squash the same way we cooked the broccoli, but instead of water use vegetable broth.
- When cooked fold in "butter" and mash squash.
- Plate over mixed greens.
- Garnish with a dash of cinnamon and a drizzle of Trader Joe's balsamic glaze.**
- Eat and Enjoy!
**This balsamic glaze is my new favorite thing. Not only does it give every dish a delicious tangy sweetness, but it really makes you feel like a fancy pants chef. ;)