3/26/12

Smooth Move

This morning Sid sent me this text:

"I just made the best smoothie of all time-but I think it may not have been so healthy.  Ice, vanilla soy milk, peanut butter, Hershey's syrup, banana and a shot of espresso. Mmmmm."

Sid was correct…not so healthy.  In general, a good rule of thumb is: if you are adding Hershey's Syrup to it, you have strayed from "healthy" territory.  This smoothie did come very close, though.  Here are a few simple tweaks that will turn Sid's glorified milk shake into more than just a sweet treat.

NO: soy milk and peanut butter
YES: almond milk and almond butter

Both soy and peanuts can be mucus forming and irritating to the digestive track.  Also, in their non-organic forms, they can be genetically modified and full of pesticides.  I prefer to use almond milk and almond butter in my smoothies.  In addition to being easier on my system, I think that they both taste ten times better (especially when you make your own almond milk using this recipe).

NO: Hershey's Syrup
YES: Choc-a-lot Vega Shake and Go Smoothie

This smoothie powder is my new favorite thing.  Just mix two tablespoons of the powder to 8oz. of water and you have a vegan, gluten-free smoothie with 11 grams of protein.  You don't even need a blender!  It's pretty tasty with just water but, if you do have a blender and some time, it is also amazing with ingredients like frozen blueberries, bananas or mangoes.  The smoothie I made this morning (recipe below) tasted like chocolate cake batter.  No joke.

NO: espresso
YES: maca powder

You know I have nothing to say about eliminating coffee (I'm gulping down a cup as I write this), but lately, as an afternoon pick me up, I've been adding a bit of raw maca powder to my smoothies.  Not only does it have a delicious earthy-nutty flavor, but supposedly it nourishes the endocrine system while increasing stamina and combating fatigue.  Maca powder gives me a boost of energy, without any added caffeine.  A word of caution: maca can affect your hormones so, if you have any concerns, check with a health care professional before introducing it into your diet.

-♥ J :)

Chocolate Cake Batter Smoothie
Ingredients:
Directions:
  1. Using a blender, blend ingredients together.
  2. Drink and enjoy!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...